Komente te Departamentit te Shtetit

http://www.southeasteurope.org/subpage.php?sub_site=2&id=15546&head=hl

SEE ONLINE

U.S. Department of State comments on Kosovo
15 November 2005

State Department Briefing, November 15

U.S. Department of State
Daily Press Briefing Index

[...] QUESTION: In the Balkans. The Prime Minister of FYROM Ljupco Georgievski stated, "After the formation of independent Kosovo, the strides of greater Albania now turning to Macedonia. The future of Macedonia will develop in two possible directions. There will be either an armed conflict after which those who want to split from Macedonia will separate along with a part of its territory, or more than 100 voters will relocate from Kosovo, leaving the Macedonians a minority in their own country."

Mr. Ereli, any comments since Under Secretary Nicholas Burns is trying very hard to preserve the stability of the Balkans on the basis no border changes?

MR. ERELI: I haven't seen the remarks from the Macedonian official, so I can't comment on that.

QUESTION: Cannot?

MR. ERELI: Yeah. Okay. What I can tell you is that our view on the future status of Kosovo is as, has been, I think, eloquently and at length presented by Under Secretary Burns in congressional testimony and in speaking to the press and I really don't have anything more to elaborate on it. I think you know what our policy is. If you don't, I'd refer you to transcripts that are already out there.

QUESTION: Actually, then how do you assess your relations with Greece, Albania, FYROM, Serbia-Bulgaria and Kosovo?

MR. ERELI: Not prepared to go into that long an answer -- answer that long a question. I will say that as you know, the Balkans is an area of intense interest for the United States, that we have endeavored to develop close and amicable relationships with all countries in the region. And I think that we have succeeded in working with the countries of the region, bilaterally and together, as well as other members of the international community, NATO, the EU, the OSCE, the UN and others to help create the conditions of stability and democratic development and justice, rule of law, that serve the interests of the peoples of the region and their neighbors and that that is the principle that guides our policy, that guides our engagement and will hopefully lead to a resolution of some of the longstanding issues that divide the countries of the region.

QUESTION: The Albanian leader in Scopje, Arben Xhaferi, stated that, "Serbia and FYROM are artificial states and Kosovo should be united with Albania" and the so-called President Ibrahim Rugova is in full with that statement. Any comment on that since you are very involved?

MR. ERELI: No. I have no comment on that.
[...]
Source: U.S. Department of State's Bureau of International Information